The Principia - Isaac Newton I tried. But this is Newton using geometry to explain the calculus behind his theory of gravity. Every few pages, between the charts and equations, he writes a one or two sentence introduction to the proposition about to be proved. I understood those. Mostly. And I could see this is where Newton’s Laws of Motions come from. His proofs are beyond me though.

Interestingly, one of the few other things I could understand, beyond his Preface, was the General Scholium at the end. After describing the heliocentric solar system, he launches into the modern equivalent of an Intelligent Design argument:
All that diversity of natural things which we find suited to different times and places could arise from nothing but the ideas and will of a Being necessarily existing. Pg. 442.
Newton’s fascination with Biblical history, alchemy and the occult has been credited with helping him believe in a gravitational force that pervades all matter and affects things unseen at distance. A fascinating mix of science and faith. He was probably as enigmatic as his equations seem to me.

I’m sure this book is worth ten stars but, in the interest of intellectual honestly, I’m personally not qualified to rate it.