The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) - Stieg Larsson Yeah, I’m jumping on the bandwagon. I’m totally succumbing to the media machine behind this book. I got the three-volume set for Christmas and put it dutifully, untouched, on the shelf. Then I saw the trailer to the movie and realized I had to read it before I could see it.

I couldn’t put it down. I’m never certain when extraneous plot in a mystery is poor editing, context setting or simply a red herring, but nothing struck me as unnecessarily burdensome as I read. Having finished and looking back, I can see the book's imperfections more clearly, but sometimes it’s best to just enjoy the suspense.

Some think Larsson is exploitive in his depictions of violence. Some people see a veneer of pc-disgust covering commercialistic sex and violence. Sure, possibly. If you are looking to be offended, nothing here will stop that. Save yourself the time reading and boycott, burn or do whatever else one does to register disdain. But, if you accept that the perverse and twisted will always be part of a good murder mystery, then Larsson provides a compelling story that is paced well to reveal the pieces leading to the novel’s conclusion.