The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer, Robert W. Hanning, Peter Tuttle Alternating between bawdy and romantic with some fables interspersed, The Canterbury Tales merrily rambles through medieval mores. Chaucer’s seemingly random collection of poems draw inspiration from ltalian contemporaries as well as the Greek and Roman tradition. The stories occasionally moralize, occasionally ridicule and always entertain.

The Barnes and Noble edition places the full old English on one page with the modern translation on the other. You can read the old English to gain a sense of the rhythm and poetry and the translation for the content. I found having both readily accessible to be a great editorial choice because I knew I would have been frustrated with just one or the other. Sufficient endnotes also provide enough references without being overwhelming and burdensome.

Some tales are missing from this edition, but it’s my understanding that there is no “complete” edition of The Canterbury Tales. Chaucer’s collection of stories have been cobbled together in various ways in various editions. Regardless, in the end, each story has a unique character and theme that make them wholes unto themselves.