Kraken - China Mieville Miéville’s strengths are his depthless imagination and vocabulary. Sometimes, the structure of his stories splinter under the weight of both. Which is very much the case with Kraken. The plot’s frenetic pace does not wait for the reader to catch up as major transitions can get easily lost within Miéville’s prose. The people who populate the story are fascinating sketches, but focus on ever-changing plotlines leaves little time for developing more fleshed out characters.

That’s the case with any novel, right? A book rarely can do all things and for every strength there are weaknesses. Those weakness just seem so much more obvious in Miéville’s works because his strengths are so overwhelming. Sodden with originality, Kraken re-imagines a London dark, cultish and devotional. And, of course, cheeky.

Many people get turned off by the seemingly erudite use of language. I thought otherwise. His word choices and sentence structure gives atmosphere to the book. Reading Kraken requires a little work. Pages are filled with obscure words and flitting references. Sometimes the sentences are awkwardly constructed and, yeah, there were words I didn’t understand either. And, yes, I’m not sure if there were some that Miéville just didn’t make-up. But if you love reading fantastical fiction, then language is a love as well. Who can object to expanding our imagination by expanding the very words we need to express it?

That’s why there are dictionaries.