Hamlet - Jeff Dolven, David Scott Kastan, William Shakespeare It’s pretty much impossible to do a meaningful review of Hamlet. It’s one of those pieces of art that has become iconic art. One could do just as well critiquing the Mona Lisa or the Great Pyramid of Giza. Some things just become the standard, flaws and all.

Prince Hamlet is a brooding, angsty guy torn between the idea of avenging his father’s death and the reality of doing so. Hesitant to make that final plunge from the murderous thought to the act. Hamlet is unusual in comparison to Shakespeare’s previous works simply because of that intense introspective drama. He struggles with his own failed sense of duty, his own fear and his own encroaching madness. A madness that begins feigned but becomes questionably more real.

I’m sure it’s harder for those of us today to appreciate the impact of this play at the time. Every teenager has an existential crisis, Freudian concepts are commonplace and we are all weaned on J.D. Salinger. But, for Shakespeare’s contemporaries, this must have seemed brilliant. And we will all acknowledge the same because, you know, it’s Hamlet.