Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms - Ethan Gilsdorf There’s a moment when the author hesitates before he opens up a box he finds in his parents’ house. A box containing all of his D&D books, maps and dice. A moment, twenty years after they had been stowed away, in which he reflects whether he wants to reopen the obsession of living in fantasy worlds.

I totally get it. I don’t know why, but I fell for that too. The thought that the nerd loves of our teenage years had to be packed tightly and discreetly away so that we could begin living adult lives. Of course, we didn’t realize that sacrificing that fantasy world just replaces it with another, much less exciting one.

After awhile, the author gets a little too intense about his man/boy dilemma. The focus becomes less on venturing into the heart of the Gygax jungle, LARPing barracks and WoW guilds. It becomes more self-help than adventure. Nevertheless, it doesn’t become so serious as to completely take away from the fun of the book.

And it‘s a little inspiring. One wonders, with the explosion of console and computer games, whether my generation of tabletop gamers will be the first and the last to reach middle age and beyond en masse. I guess we need to stick together.

Which is conveniently another justification for going to Gen Con.