The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides, Robert B. Strassler, Richard Crawley, Victor Davis Hanson Most of what I liked about The Landmark Herodotus applies to the The Landmark Thucydides as well. The maps and format of this earlier edition are not quite as smoothly drafted as the The Landmark Herodotus, but the editors earn boundless praise for their efforts at making these classical works comprehensible for modern readers.

Thucydides presents a stark contrast to his near contemporary Herodotus. He avoids the narrative wandering and anthropological surveys which fill The Histories. Instead, Thucydides' focused factual conveyance seems fitting given the martial subject. Unfortunately, it also becomes rather dull at times. Thucydides appears to be self-aware, but unconcerned, regarding his own dry style:
The absence of romance in my history will, I fear, detract somewhat from its interest, but if it be judged useful by those inquirers who desire an exact knowledge of the past as an aid to the understanding of the future, which in the course of human things must resemble if it does not reflect it, I shall be content. In fine, I have written my work, not as an essay which is to win applause of the moment, but as a possession for all time. pg. 16

His diligence is clear as he proceeds through approximately 21 years of the 27 year Pelopennesian War (for an unknown reason, he stops in 411 B.C.) Battles, participants and maneuvers are detailed with surprising precision given the imagined difficulties in obtaining information in various theaters of war in pre-Hellenistic Greece.

For me, without question, the best moments in Thucydides were reading the 141 speeches scattered throughout. the reader is given fair warning as to their accuracy:
With reference to the speeches in this history, some were delivered before the war began, others while it was going on; some I heard myself, others I got from various quarters; it was in all cases difficult to carry them word for word on one's memory, so my habit has been to make the speakers say what was in my opinion demanded of them by the various occasions, of course adhering as closely as possible to the general sense of what they really said. pg. 15

Even knowing full well that each of these speeches have been filtered and altered to fit Thucydides' narrative purpose, they still contain a level rhetorical character that transports you back to the agoras of Athens, Sparta, Corinth and other poleis of classical Greece. The political discussions at times exhibited a level of sincerity and savvy wisdom that demonstrate why the Greeks (most of them) were jealously protective of their democratic states. At times, I felt somewhat embarrassed that, now 2500 years later, our political discourse seems so very empty and cheap in comparison.