Four Novels of the 1960s - Philip K. Dick, Jonathan Lethem Sloppy brilliance rattles down from these pages. Despite the loose springs and unattached gear or two, the stories tick on. Dick desperately tries to keep up with his own handiwork as his imagination outpaces the writing.

All the stories revolve around the thought that reality is not real. Whether it’s the alternate reality of an alternately real world like in The Man in the High Castle, the drug-induced dollhouses of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch or the half-life in Ubik , we are constantly challenged to question what we experience in our world. Of course, there are no answers and the questions are nothing new. But Dick’s writing deftly makes us re-wonder in a way that makes it all seem fresh and unexplored. Maybe the point is not to know. Maybe we simply are all engaged in the Sisyphean walk of Wilbur Mercer. Maybe the question is all there is and, in zen-like contemplation, we are to wonder Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

It may not all be the most well thought out writing or the most expertly packaged, but it’s good. Really, really good. This is the stuff that you are left thinking about for weeks afterward. And which causes you to inspect your golden retriever for a secret electronic access panel. Or maybe that was just me.